6 tips to avoid an accident with deer
Sep 27, 2016 03:47PM ● Published by Today's Family
- Be vigilant while driving in wooded areas. Although deer can be found almost anywhere, city or suburb, it is important to be extra cautious when driving through heavily wooded areas.
- Use high beams whenever possible. High beams can help illuminate deer and allow you to see the reflection of your lights in its eyes. Be cautious with high beams though; if a deer does cross your path, it may freeze in your headlights. Be sure to turn them off quickly and beep your horn to help scare the deer away.
- Watch for deer crossing signs. These signs are placed where there is an increased likelihood of coming across a deer so be sure to pay even more attention to your surroundings.
- �Drive in the center lane whenever possible, if traveling down a multi-lane road. This will give you just a little more reaction time if a deer darts in front of your vehicle. If on a two lane road, stay as close to the center line as is safely possible.
- Do not swerve. If a deer enters the roadway, be sure to step on the brakes and keep your wheel straight. Typically, deer will move out of the way and if you swerve, you may put yourself back into the path of the deer. Also, sharp turns can increase the likelihood of losing control of the vehicle and causing an accident with another vehicle, tree, etc.
- Watch for relatives. Deer do not travel alone so if you see one, be aware that there are more nearby. This is another reason swerving is a bad idea––swerving to avoid one deer may put you in the path of another.
Courtesy of the Corsaro Insurance Group and Central Insurance Companies.
Matthew Corsaro is the president and owner of the Corsaro Insurance Group in Mentor, Ohio. His company and staff have been providing insurance solutions to families and business owners for over forty years. Mr. Corsaro has obtained the Accredited Advisor in Insurance and Certified Insurance Counselor designations. Corsaro Insurance Group represents over twenty insurance companies. As well they have expertise in all areas of auto, home and business Insurance. They can be reached at 440-946-4950.