Candy Land has gone WILD!
On a life-sized game board, discover the many natural wonders that nature gives us all year long as you play along and travel through the seasons in this indoor wonderland. Just like the board game, visitors draw a card, and—acting as the game piece—move from space to space, and explore nature through the year.
The Wild Days of Winter game is free for all ages and opens at noon Saturday, November 19 at Penitentiary Glen Nature Center. The fun continues noon to 5 pm daily through January 1, 2017, with the exception of Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve when the exhibit will be closed. Supporting sponsors include Playground World, The Lakeshore Live Steamers, The News-Herald and Today’s Family Magazine.
Continue your adventure with hands-on activities both indoors and out:
- Indoor and outdoor scavenger hunts that explore nature
- Coloring pages and activity sheets
- Make a “bee” craft to take home
- Try your hand at feeding a live chickadee outdoors with their Bird in Hand program
- Watch and listen for wildlife at the many bird feeders in the Nature Center
- Explore the many hands-on Nature Center exhibits
- Sit, relax and enjoy hot beverages in Snowshoe Lodge
- Shop in The Nature Store for great nature- and wildlife-
- inspired holiday gift ideas.
- Go for an adventurous walk on the Peppermint Trail on snowshoes (rentals available through the season as weather permits)
- Visit the Kevin P. Clinton Wildlife Center animal rehabilitation facility to learn about and meet native Ohio wildlife up close. View a red fox, a bald eagle and many other birds of prey. Make this year’s gift a wild one! The “Adopt an Animal” program provides a unique, thoughtful gift idea that helps to cover the cost of animal care! Ask at The Wildlife Center for more information
- Explore more than 8.5 miles of hiking trails open year round
- November 19 – Wildlife Day
- November 26 – S‘mores and Campfire
- December 3 – Discover Fruit Smoothies
- December 10 – Train Rides (weather permitting)
- December 17 – Maple Syrup