Keep those home fires burning safely with these helpful tips
Nov 29, 2016 03:00PM ● Published by Today's Family
Unfortunately, fireplaces also contribute to needless injuries, loss of life, and property damage annually. The U.S. Fire Administration estimates heating fires account for 36 percent of all rural home fires each year. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) states that the leading factor contributing to home heating fires is failure to clean the chimneys of solid-fueled heating equipment such as wood stoves and fireplaces. A highly combustible, sooty residue known as creosote that accumulates inside a chimney can be ignited by hot gases rising from the fireplace, resulting in a chimney fire that can spread to the surrounding structure.
Other home fires related to the use of fireplaces and wood stoves are attributable to improper disposal of ashes, the use of flammable liquids to start or accelerate a fire, poor separation of combustibles from the fireplace opening, and failure to place a metal screen across the fireplace opening while the fire is burning.
Follow these tips to help ensure your fireplace or wood stove is operating safely:
- Have the chimney inspected and cleaned at least annually by a qualified contractor or chimney sweep.
- Burn only seasoned hardwoods. Soft wood with higher moisture content produces more creosote.
- Do not restrict the fire’s air supply by closing the glass doors of a fireplace. This can lead to incomplete combustion and higher levels of creosote.
- Never use gasoline to start or accelerate a fire.
- Keep combustibles such as newspapers, cloth decorations and artificial flowers at least three feet away from the fireplace opening.
- Extinguish the fire before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Allow the ashes to cool completely before cleaning the fireplace. Place ashes in a metal container with a tight-fitting lid and store them outside, at least 10 feet away from the house. Never dump ashes directly into a trash can.
- Install a metal mesh screen atop the chimney to prevent sparks from landing on the roof. Regularly remove leaves, pine needles, and other combustible debris from the roof surface and gutters.
Courtesy of the Corsaro Insurance Group and Central Insurance Companies.
Matthew Corsaro is the president and owner of the Corsaro Insurance Group in Mentor, Ohio. His company and staff have been providing insurance solutions to families and business owners for over forty years. Mr. Corsaro has obtained the Accredited Advisor in Insurance and Certified Insurance Counselor designations. Corsaro Insurance Group represents over twenty insurance companies. As well they have expertise in all areas of auto, home and business insurance. They can be reached at 440-946-4950.