Maple Sugaring Weekends
Feb 21, 2017 10:50AM ● Published by Today's Family
The journey begins with a wagon ride into the maple woods and arrives at the Woodland Center. There, you can see and take part in the maple sugaring process. Kids learn how to tap a tree with hands-on guidance from Farmpark staff. The whole family gets involved collecting sap contained in collection buckets hung on the maple trees. Move indoors to watch the water-like substance you helped collect boiled and ultimately processed into pure maple syrup and other naturally sweet products.
Farmpark’s very own pure maple syrup and other maple items are available for sale in both the Woodland Center and Gift Shop.
Maple sugaring-themed activities during Maple Sugaring Weekend include:
- �Children can tap a maple tree by hand
- �Gather buckets with fresh sap and pour it into horse-drawn sap collector
- �See how maple candy is made
- Sample pure maple syrup and maple candy
- Whip up your own tasty treat with maple stirs (additional fee applies)
- Learn how to make maple syrup in your own backyard
- Tour the sugar bush operation
- Sample maple syrup on silver dollar pancakes
- Create a maple craft
- Make ice cream and taste the results
- Pony rides (additional fee)
The hands-on experiences of Maple Sugaring Weekends are included in the regular Farmpark admission. Farmpark members and children under 2 are free.
Pancakes served all day in the J&J Café ($7 ages 12 and older; $4 ages 2 to 11). No registration necessary; regular Farmpark admission applies.
Lake Metroparks Farmpark is located at 8800 Euclid Chardon Road in Kirtland. Open 9 am to 5 pm Tuesday through Sunday year-round.