Welcome Spring Hike • March 19
Feb 21, 2017 11:04AM ● Published by Today's Family
Photo by Earl Linaburg
March 19 • 1 to 4 pm
Start your spring right on a guided woodland hike with nature as it thaws for new life. Featured hikes will vary in length and terrain from flat and easy for the novice hiker to longer with rolling terrain and a few steep hills for the experienced hiker. Join us for our inaugural Welcome Spring Hike Sunday, March 19, as we venture through Penitentiary Glen and into the wilderness in your own backyard. Hikers will embark on their choice of two hikes, varying in length and terrain. The novice hiker will enjoy a short hike with flat and mild terrain led by Lake Metroparks naturalists. More experienced hikers will enjoy the challenge of a longer self-guided hike featuring rolling terrain and a few steep hills. Both hikes begin at 1 pm. Trail maps will be provided to all hikers.
After the hike, stay for great food and music!
Browse our selection of nature-related items in The Nature Store including birdfeeders, wildlife houses and other accessories, binoculars, books, field guides and clothing.
Note: No dogs are permitted at this event. Visit bit.ly/LMcanine for canine-friendly programs offered by Lake Metroparks.
Registration is required to participate in the Welcome Spring Hike. A commemorative Spring Hike patch, soup and beverages are included in the $8 registration fee. All ages are welcome (younger than 18 with an adult). Register online at lakemetroparks.com, in person at Lake Metroparks registration department or call 440-358-7275 or 800-669-9226.
Additional natural fun at Penitentiary Glen Reservation:
- Discover the sights and sounds of wildlife at the interactive Nature Calls exhibit.
- Watch and listen to birds and other wildlife through the Window on Wildlife.
- Visit the Kevin P. Clinton Wildlife Center, where injured or orphaned native Ohio wildlife including hawks, owls and a bald eagle are housed for rehabilitation and care. See our wildlife ambassadors in the Wildlife Center Yard.
- Explore the outdoors with an X-Plorer Pack filled with seasonal hands-on activities that help you discover nature in the park.
- Walk the trails with snowshoes (available for rent, weather permitting).
- Browse the selection of nature-related items in The Nature Store including birdfeeders, wildlife houses and other accessories, binoculars by VORTEX, books and field guides for adults and children and nature-inspired t-shirts.