Sheep Shearing Weekend
At Lake Metroparks Farmpark
Shearing demonstrations presented throughout the weekend show sheep and goats being sheared (removing their winter coats of wool). Sheep and goats are shorn of their winter coats to obtain wool and prevent them from overheating during hot summer weather. This lustrous fiber is used to make many wonderful products from clothing to blankets. Sheep shearing is one of many hands-on opportunities children can experience.
Sheep Shearing Weekend is the place to learn how to spin and weave and make felt during ongoing hands-on demonstrations. Watch a border collie herd sheep and meet fiber-producing sheep. Meet fiber-producing animals including sheep, goats, alpacas and rabbits. Shearing demonstration times:
- Rainbow sheep shearing (Saturday only) 9:30 a.m.
- Spinning & weaving (hands-on) 10 a.m. to noon & 2 to 4 p.m.
- Sheep shearing (electric) 3 p.m.
- Border collie sheep herding 11:30 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Sheep shearing (blade) 1:30 p.m.
- Goat shearing (electric) 2:30 p.m.
- Mothers' Day: Complimentary tea & scone for mom, $5 for family members.
Admission to Sheep Shearing Weekend is included with regular Farmpark admission. Farmpark members and children under 2 are free. Farmpark is located at 8800 Euclid Chardon Rd. in Kirtland. For more information, visit their website at lakemetroparks.com.
- May 13, 2018
- 9:00AM - 5:00PM