Five animals not to miss at the Zoo this winter
Jan 05, 2017 03:16PM
● By Today's Family
Dasha, one of Cleveland Metroparks Zoo’s two Amur tigers, enjoys the water features of her new habitat Rosebrough Tiger Passage. Visitors can experience up-close views of the tigers like never before. Photo courtesy Jason Orlando, Cleveland Zoological Society
One of the best places to see animals enjoying the colder weather is Wilderness Trek, home to bears, seals and sea lions, and tigers. Here are five animals to be on the lookout for this season:
- Amur tigers. Dasha and Kletcha got a new habitat this summer with the opening of Rosebrough Tiger Passage. The tigers loved using the overhead tunnels and open grassy knolls, and are ready to explore them more this winter! Amur tigers are native to the Russian Far East, which has a climate similar to northeast Ohio. Rosebrough Tiger Passage has large heated rocks for the tigers to enjoy when it gets cold, and they will still have access to the outdoors around the clock. Be sure to rest on the heated rocks for guests, too!
- Grizzly bears. Brothers Cody and Cooper are a visitor favorite, especially when they wrestle in the water during the summer months. In the winter they shake off the snow from their thick coats and explore the logs and ledges in the habitat.
- Reindeer. Did you know that reindeer hooves and fur adapt to the season? In the winter, the coat gets longer and denser to provide warmth. Hoof pads tighten, exposing the hoof rim that can be used to gain traction and cut into crusted snow and ice.
- Wolves. The lodge at Wolf Wilderness is a perfect spot for a winter warm-up. See the wolves become more active with cooler weather, check out the beavers swimming in the outdoor pond, and then stop for a rest by the fire in the cabin.
- Bald Eagle. The majestic national symbol can be found outside the entrance to Wolf Wilderness. His white head may be more difficult to spot when snow falls, but be sure to sneak a peak.
Visit ClevelandZooSociety.org to purchase or renew your membership.
Upcoming events at Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
December Days, December 26 – 30
Keep the kids busy during winter break! Each day features fun activities, crafts and live music.
Noon Year’s Eve, December 31 • 10 am – 1 pm
Bring your little party animals to celebrate with the animals and ring in the new year at noon!