Lake County General Health District to host Parent Cafés
Oct 08, 2018 12:12PM
Through enjoyable and thoughtful discussion, reflection and parent-to-parent sharing, the participants can explore their strengths and weaknesses, learn about the protective factors and create strategies to build strong, healthy families. The five protective factors are:
1. Parental Resilience: The ability to cope with and bounce back from all types of challenges.
2. Social Connections: Friends, family, and neighbors provide emotional support and concrete assistance to parents.
3. Knowledge of Parenting and Child Development: Having accurate information about raising young children and appropriate expectations for their behavior help parents better understand and care for their children.
4. Concrete Support in Times of Need: Parents need access to the concrete supports and services that can minimize the stress of difficult situations.
5. Social and Emotional Competence of Children: A child’s ability to interact positively with others, to self-regulate, and to effectively communicate his or her emotions has a great impact on the parent-child relationship.
The Parent Cafés will be
facilitated by an Associate Health Educator from the LCGHD and Educators from the
OSU Extension Office of Lake County. Each
Café will consist of three weekly two-hour sessions. The program is free and
includes child care, a light meal and some giveaways.
If you would like a supply of posters and flyers to help spread the word about the program, or if you would be able to provide giveaways, please contact Tammy Kraft at 440-350-2851 or email her at [email protected].