‘Curiosity Carnival’ now open at Great Lakes Science Center
Ladies and gentlemen, children of all ages, step right up for Curiosity Carnival –– a special exhibition like no other, featuring amazing feats of science!
All the sights and sounds of the carnival, from the spectacles to the midway games, are based on science. This Science Center-created exhibition will take you behind the curtain (or big-top tent flap, if you will) for an immersive, multi-sensory experience. Curiosity Carnival embodies the excitement and vibrancy of a carnival atmosphere while examining classic games, rides and experiences through a STEM lens.
Hands-on exhibits that bring the carnival midway indoors for the winter will have guests of all ages saying “Colossal! Stupendous!” And best of all, Curiosity Carnival is included with general admission.
These exhibits and more await along the midway!
- At Winging It, design and fold paper airplanes, then use an electric launcher to test them out at two large-scale, target galleries!
- On the Midway, practice STEM-rooted strategies to maximize your chances of winning common carnival games.
- Enjoy performances and demonstrations offering a sneak-peek at the science behind popular carnival acts.
- Arrange fabric and props at a Colossal Kaleidoscope to explore how math and mirrors work together to create spectacular patterns.
- "Juggle” the forces of physics at a Giant Mobile and create a unique, suspended sculpture.
- Use physics and symmetry to successfully navigate a tabletop High Wire Challenge and discover how tightrope walkers keep their balance.
- At Clowning Around, style a lion’s mane or a clown’s wig using magnets and iron filings.
- Get creative with light and color at the Luminous Lite Brite.
- Challenge your brain with a series of optical illusions, and uncover the science behind why we don’t always immediately see things for what they are.
- Take a spin in the Topsy Turvy Chairs and learn how they use weight and gravity to stay upright.
- Practice your balancing act by finding and lowering your center of gravity on a Rolla Bolla board.
The Great Lakes Science Center is located in Downtown Cleveland. For more info call (216) 694-2000 or visit www.GreatScience.com.
To make sure everyone is safe and comfortable, they offer wheelchair rentals, elevators to every floor, an attached parking garage, and offer gluten-free and vegetarian options.