Memorial scholarship applications now being accepted by DeJohn Funeral Homes
Feb 29, 2020 04:04PM
DeJohn Funeral Homes & Crematory announces it is now accepting applications for the 2020 Ross Sr. & Carmella DeJohn Memorial Scholarship. The scholarship provides each student awarded with $750 for his or her college tuition or books.
“In memory of Ross Sr. and Carmella we have extended our scholarship to award nine students the honor and ability to reduce the cost of their tuition or books. We know there are many talented young men and women in our community that deserve recognition. This scholarship is another way we can give back to families in our community,” said Ross DeJohn Jr., chief executive officer for DeJohn Funeral Homes.
Students that demonstrate the ideals of passion, respect and organization will be eligible for the Ross Sr. & Carmella DeJohn Memorial Scholarship. Students that demonstrate these qualities as they achieve their higher education will become our future community leaders. Scholarship applications will be accepted online at DeJohnCares.com/scholarship.
In 2019, the Ross Sr. & Carmella DeJohn Memorial Scholarships were awarded to:
- Garrett Wineberg of West Geauga High School (attending Lakeland Community College, surgical technology)
- Jenna Perry of Brush (attending Florida Southern College, nursing)
- Lilly Kelemen of Kirtland High School (attending Northwestern University, neuroscience and behavior)
- Jenna Bailey of Mayfield High School (studying animal behavior and environment)
- J.R. Heckman of Solon High School (studying musical theatre)
- Gracyn Allan of Mentor High School (attending Ohio State University, public health pre-med)
- Andrew Passow of St. Ignatius High School (studying forensic ccience)
- Denali Selent of Chardon High School (attending Miami University, bioengineering)
In 1993 the DeJohn family, in conjunction with the family owned funeral home, established the scholarship in honor of Ross (Sr) and Carmella’s dedication to education. Ross Sr. served, as mayor of Mayfield Heights for over 28 years and during that time was very supportive of all school related issues including support for many school levies. More than $40,000 in scholarships has been awarded to deserving high school seniors living in Cuyahoga, Lake and Geauga counties.
Students may apply for the Ross Sr. & Carmella DeJohn Memorial Scholarship by completing the online application and submitting it by email or in person at the Willoughby Hills funeral home by March 15, 2020.