Rube Goldberg Exhibit
Created by the Children's Museum of Pittsburgh in partnership with the Heirs of Rube Goldberg, Rube Goldberg: The World of Hilarious Invention! Exhibit (on view through August 27, 2023 at the Maltz Museum in Beachwood) showcases Pulitzer Prize winning humorist and inventor Rube Goldberg’s iconic contraptions and celebrates his humorous storytelling and inventive cartoons.
Inspired by Rube’s original illustrations, the exhibit contains a collection of new 3D, life-size machines and hands-on, interactive components that connect Rube’s iconic cartoon contraptions to the way things work in the physical world. These experiences provide insight into the legacy of Rube Goldberg and how classic engineering principles can be reimagined as entry points for deeper exploration of STEAM concepts for 21st century learning.
Visitors can activate and create crazy chain-reaction contraptions that use everyday objects to complete simple tasks in the most overcomplicated, inefficient, and hilarious ways possible! Rube Goldberg machines are many things, but they aren’t perfect. Find the fun in failure, stepping into the role of illustrator, storyteller, and inventor. Exhibition highlights include:
- See a Rube-inspired way to paint a picture in the 3D version of Ed Steckley’ s “An Epic Way to Paint a Picture”®
- Move balls and ramps to trigger chain reaction machines in Wall Machines, then figure out how they work by resetting each part.
- Be inspired by Rube Goldberg’s drawing techniques to create your own hilarious cartoon in the Art Studio and then see how it looks at the Revolvometer.
- Pull ropes to start a series of musical chain reactions in the large-scale sound animation Music Machine.
- Step into one of Rube's iconic wearables, “Self-Operating Napkin.”®, for a one-of-a-kind photo op.
Adults $12; seniors (ages 60+) and students (ages 12+) $10; children (ages 5-11) $5; ages 4 and under and Maltz Museum members are free.
Visit www.maltzmuseum.org for more info and hours.