Civil War Weekend at Lake County History Center
Re-enactments, encampment, food, and music take visitors back in time to an authentic Civil War camp and battle May 26 and 27
A favorite event at Lake County History Center is returning, bringing knowledge about the Civil War in an authentic Civil War encampment. Admission is by donation during the day and special evening programs can be reserved for a fee.
Free Daytime Activities:
- Meet re-enactors of the generals including Union Generals John S. Casement, Ambrose Burnside and William T. Sherman as well as Confederate General James E. (Jeb) Stuart.
- Meet re-enactors of President Abraham Lincoln and Clara Barton
- Speaker’s Corner where all Civil War Generals, Abraham Lincoln, and Clara Barton will speak throughout the day
- Daily Battalion Drills - Daily Gatling Gun Demonstrations - Cannon fire during battle
- Daily Battle at 2:00 pm.
- Daily Grand Review after battle
- Daily Inspection of weapons
- Family games in Pioneer Village
- Civilian wives of soldiers will be serving tea on Saturday afternoon
- Church services at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday
- Full encampment of Union and Confederate soldiers including a medical unit from Pennsylvania
Reserved Evening Event
$25.00 per person
Must enter through parking lot at Riverside High School
(go to Eventbrite.com to register – deadline May 24, 2018)
- Saturday evening meal in the Commissary tent
- Saturday evening dance after meal
- Spectacular cannon night fire
Two Medal of Honor Civil War Soldiers names and photos will be displayed outside in the encampment at the schedule board. Lake County sent over 1200 soldiers to the Civil War and visitors will be allowed inside the History Center to see a display with a list and some photos of the soldiers for those who wish to look for family members. The museum will also feature its music box exhibit and many Lake County rooms on varied subjects.
Civil War themed food for sale will include chicken w/biscuits, pulled pork sandwiches, deviled eggs, apple or cherry croissants, and more. Civil War music will be provided throughout including the Anonymous String Band during the Saturday night dance. Free parking at Riverside High School will be provided with rides on a people mover to the History Center grounds each day.
For information, contact Dorothy at 440-639-2945.
- May 26, 2018
- 9:30AM - 4:00PM